Thread: RANNS
View Single Post
Old 30-11-14, 06:36 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up

Hi BC

Yes I have been a volunteer at the Upwey-Belgrave RSL, Running Rabbits Military museum for about 2.5 yrs. We have a team of about 12 Vols and we meet every Thursday for a work day and open on Sundays from about 10 till 2pm, the bar and bistro are open so people can get lunch and a drink.

We get tour parties come through on both Thurs and Sund for lunch and a tour of the museum. We also get cub and scout groups at night and school groups during the day throught the year. We also liase with several other RSL's in and out of our area and with the Upper Yarra Museum at Yarra Junction to provide display material. Our WW1 German 7.92 Maxim machine gun is on loan to Box Hill RSL at the moment. We have a 2 way relationship with them and often go down for lunch to see their new displays.

We liase with a number of other RSL's and also belong to the local Heritage Network and go out and do displays at various events. We did one recently at a history week event at an Historic property at Wandin and I did a display at Mooroolbark for the unveiling and deication of a new war memorial.

Im also the Pres of the local historical soc and therefore I over lap on things like this as the people in other Hist soc, inc M'bark are friends.

We also liase with the local regional museum and have the girls in my phone, I just ring and hello its Phill and they just say hello, no need to explain who I am ! The museum will have an Xmas lunch on 18th Dec and girls from the Regional museum will come.

We are also applying for Museums Australia accreditation and we will have our final assessment in March 15 and its already a done deal. 2 of the boys were at a recent Museums Aus training course and they were showing photos of our museum as how to do it. Reckon thats pretty good. The girls from Museums Aust come out to see us a couple of times a year. We also deal with Dept of Defence who also visit us.

Pm sent

All for now

regards

Phil.