Thread: AFC Wings
View Single Post
Old 21-02-18, 11:32 PM
Banned

Here is an RAF mini wing which has appeared today online. I have several sets of mini pilots wings, RAF, RAAF, RCAF and RNZAF and in the case of the RAF there is a common standard pattern which is frequently seen. I have one plus what I think is a Canadian made pair, all of them finely woven and really quite nice.

Appearing more often now are repro pairs, Pakistani/Indian made and easy to spot immediately. As soon as I saw these I thought repro, due to the shape and , although not so obvious here, the rather string like thread rather than fine silk thread. I looked for a picture if the back (as the Asian repro are all the same, messy) and surprise surprise, there is cloth stitched on.

Although some of my mini wings have cloth, it is exclusively to hold in padding, as on their full sized sisters, either as manufactured or altered by the airmans. These aren't and they are the only flat mini wings I've seen with a backing. Why? Maybe to hide the obvious messy threads...?

(I would add that the dealer selling them is first class, and would not sell repro as original intentionally. Just shows they can easily fool).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50746.jpg (20.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 50746c.jpg (20.6 KB, 22 views)