View Single Post
Old 30-11-18, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGD View Post
Phil, thanks for sharing, i have also been to Spion Kop, although i had no family members who were there, it is an eerie place. As Yorkie mentions the trench is a sight to behold, as is the memorial to the Boers which includes German & English names, located just off of the hill. The shape of the hill did not aid their defence, angles of sight plus the superior marksmanship of their enemy was the downfall. I was lucky enough to accompany a Buller descendant who confirmed the 'inner struggle' he had at the time, protecting his troops, despite what others have said about him. Happy to say i had five ancestors (including two brothers) who returned from separate regiments who fought at Colenso, Tuegla Heights, Paardeberg, Transvaal, the Relief of Mafeking & Ladysmith. Beautiful place that belies it's history. My best moment was standing on a stone at Colenso, which marked the individual gun locations of the battery at which one of my great uncle's fought. Regards Mark

Thank you very much for sharing that Mark. Having visited all the places that you mentioned in South Africa. It is such a special country I just love it and can`t wait for my next visit. Just out of interest did you manage to get hold of a copy of "The Day of The Dead Moon" by David Rattray. A 5 Audio cd set. not about the Boer War but about the Anglo - Zulu War, just brilliant. David Rattray was a fantastic speaker. I was lucky enough to tour the Battlefields of Rorks Drift and Isandlwana with him. He also led us from his lodge down the Fugitives Trail to the Buffalo river where the Regimental colours were lost. A day I will never forget.