View Single Post
Old 27-07-12, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CftD View Post
I rather suspect that this is a posed photograph for whatever reason and I can't understand why all five RSMs would be at the Guards Depot at the same time. No doubt those with greater knowledge of the Brigade will clarify. David
I agree completely. The soldiers cap is 100% Canadian, and sorry to say (esp to my Canuk mates!) those RSM's do NOT terrify the life out of me.
I'm ex Navy Combined Ops, so I had one particular Fleet Chief who's voice could make your blood turn ice cold at 100yrds and the dubious priviledge of RM RSM's at Poole Barracks. They had such intelligent methods for making you life a total misery you'd actually wish they'd rather punch your lights out!!! But oh no......filling sandbags, empying them 50yrds away, a 10 min break per hour and returning same sand in same bags all F***ing night.
Why I hear you ask! It got noticed at Poole that I'd managed to avoid a weekend duty by every means possible for TWO YEARS.......so the sand bags were "TO make up for it you coniving worm" and he had the nerve to grin like the Cheshire Cat when he said it, and I was stupid enough to laugh, because also in utter dumbness I thought he was joking!!! Oh boy was he NOT.....a month of Eagle Eyes on me followed.
Its a VERY old joke, but half the RM battle honours were won by marines who'd rather lose a leg than face a pissed off RSM!
So to finish I'd say this photo is very posed as any RSM or Fleet Chief I've met would rip that trooper apart. His cap looks like it just landed on his head by accident to start with!
And the boot polish....all bad from a British point of view...the reflection from a Brit RSM's boots would leave you with sun spots on your eyes!