View Single Post
Old 23-07-21, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRF View Post
...another couple of sepia images showing non-regulation insignia being worn within the A.I.F. - the bugler looks as though he's also wearing the double powder-horn distinguishing badge, in worsted...the bloke wearing the Marksman badge above his rank was possibly on a combined course with other British soldiers and so was issued a gilding metal trade badge on completion...however, even the Marksman skill-at-arms badge was never authorised by any A.I.F. Standing Order...as far as unit-specific distinction badges, the only ones ordered to be worn by A.I.F. personnel was the "General Service" badge, as early as March 1916, yet there are many photos of this regulation being bypassed...which means that all others were either discontinued, or always unofficial - in both cases, non-regulation...and would that include the various Light Horse insignia being worn - both by the 13th in France and by all others out in the Mediterranean theatres?...(8{
Of course colour patches were authorised from March 1915.

Other than what is recorded in the AIF Orders, I believe the initial use of proficiency and/or trade badges was brought over from the Standing Orders for Dress and Clothing, 1912 which was in use in the AMF at the time.