View Single Post
Old 19-12-22, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I have now been able to find the definitive details for the regiment’s that wore black mourning ‘lines’ in their lace in PERRY page 180 and have been surprised to learn that there were eight regiments in total divided equally between Quebec and Corunna. It states that the rationale is for those regiments whose CinC died in action whilst they were under command. The regiments were:
9th (Norfolk’s)
15th (E.York’s)
17th (Leicester’s)
31st & 70th (E.Surrey’s)
47th & 81st (Loyal’s)
65th & 84th (York & Lancs)
75th & 92nd (Gordon’s)
88th & 94th (Connaught’s)

Some time later.

I was having a scout around to see what back ground information might be available regarding the regiments in the above list who cannot be associated with the deaths of General Wolfe (15th, 17th & 47th) or Sir John Moore.(9th & 92nd), viz the 31st, 65th and the 88th

The only association I can detect is with the Duke of Wellington. The 2/31st were at Talavera. The 65th fought in the Mahratta wars, recalled by the Tiger in their cap badge. The 88th bore the distinction 'Peninsular' on their colours, as well as the names of numerous individual actions in that campaign. I have not been able to find reference but perhaps these regiments wore black to commemorate the Duke of Wellington after his death in 1852.