View Single Post
Old 06-02-16, 01:03 PM

Default Victoria and St Georges boss badge

On the matter of restoration, your reserve is commendable. Rarely in my opinion does a restoration actually accomplish what it sets out to achieve.

Let me see what I can do for a photograph. I have misplaced my camera for the time being.

In the meantime my information allows me to advise that the Victoria and St George's traced ancestry to the Duke of Cumberlands sharpshooters from 1803 and the Royal Victoria Rifle Club of 1835. In 1853, this was the only legally constituted Rifle Volunteer Corps in the Metropolis. In the 1859 volunteer line up, the Queen Victoria's were 1st Middlesex RV and the St George's were 11th Mx RV. In 1892 they were amalgamated as 1st Mx (Victoria and St George's) RVC otherwise 1st VB KRRC.

At the time of our badge, their HQ was in 56 Davies Street, Berkeley Square. They wore KRRC uniform. They had a Cyclist (K) company of about 80 strong and a Mounted infantry company of 160 strong. There was a band and drums. They had a strong university and public schools uptake among officers, NCOs and men. There was a club, simply called "Our Club", which was a shooting and dining club exclusive to the Corps.

My source "The Volunteer Annual (Metropolitan Corps) 1903" Repr. Westlake 1988.

And yes, they did become 9th London QVRs in 1908

ATB

Jonathan