View Single Post
Old 17-04-21, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Not everything in museums is original unfortunately and those badges are both not of a design I would recognise as WW1. There was not an official all brass KOSB badge authorised for production.

There are a number of DDay museums in Normandy with donations of badges which are not contemporary and these 2 are probably the same in my opinion. Just my view but I would not have them in my WW1 collection.
I beg to differ about there not being a brass King's Own Scottish Borderers cap badge authorised for production, two references 1. page 14 of Scottish Regimental Badges 1793-1971 badge 87 The King's Own Scottish Borderers O/R's World War 1 KC Brass illustrated. 2. See attached photograph of the same badge in the Regimental Museum collection, which by the way the Archivist and Curator is an avid Medal and Badge collector and like myself served in the regiment for over 25 years.

The Hooge museum is not a D Day Museum it is dedicated to WW1 with original trenches within its grounds as is the equipment and artefacts contain within the museum, I have no reason to doubt the curator of the Hooge Museum when he stated that these badges were recovered from the battle field of Passchendaele a few miles up the road, I have also attached some photographs of other items in the museum, also a local farmers out building containing items he has recovered in the last two months from his fields, when I was their.
Best
Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bruges 008.jpg (73.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Bruges 036.jpg (64.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2062.jpg (81.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Bruges 041.jpg (75.2 KB, 25 views)