View Single Post
Old 22-03-21, 04:03 PM

Hi Herford Annie,

Although the photograph is heavy pixeled I would say because of the shape of this particular Shako and Badge Plate its the French Pattern Shako, the later Shakos all had more of a forward slant, here is the write up on the French Shako from my book, I have also attached a photograph from the same angle, hope this helps, you.

I am unable to help on the second photograph and can not view it because it appears perpendicular rather then horizontal. With regards to the dates, this would fit as although this shako was out of service in the regular Army it would have life in yet hence being worn long after its military service.
Kind regards
Hiram Dunn

10. French-Pattern Shako. Worn 1855 until 1861.
The French-Pattern shako worn during this period is the much-improved version of the previous 1855 model, the Albert shako, this redesign came about because of the Albert shako’s failures during the Crimea war, it was found to be too tall and clumsy, in comparison to the smaller French shako, similar to a ‘Kepi’, now our allies in this war, hence it being named the French-Pattern shako. The make-up of the shako was of black felt and just over 5”(13cm) deep at the front and curved down the back of the head, the top was covered in black patent-leather and sunken and turned over round the edge and stitched, a similar leather band double stitched and turned over went around the bottom forming the headband. The peak was altered, at the front, now a larger horizontal square black patent leather peak, with a smaller slopping peak at the rear. On the top of the shako, positioned at the front centre, was a worsted ball-tuft in the same colours of the pervious shako, fixed in a gilt socket. At the rear of the shako was a bronze gorgon-head for ventilation. The soldiers French-Pattern shako was of the same design but made of stout felt, with leather parts lacquered without binding on the peaks, the aeriation for soldiers was achieved by black-metal discs with several holes and positioned on each side of the shako. The chinstrap was the same for all ranks made of leather with a buckle on the right side. The shako-plate for officers was of gilt in the form of an eight-pointed rayed star, surmounted by a crown, on the centre pierced is a Garter-belt with the motto, Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense, on a burnished gilt ground, in the centre of which is, the regimental number of burnished gilt backed by a black piece of leather. Soldiers shako-plates were made of brass and of the same basic size pattern, but rather than pierced they were stamped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg French Pattern Shako.jpg (7.4 KB, 15 views)