View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 02:53 PM

Good afternoon Gentlemen,

As promised here is the completed Sphinx in situ on the 1840-1855 Officers Shoulder Belt Plate.

This project has been a learning curve, the first mould and casting I presented on the initial posts, to me looked acceptable if they could be fashioned by a jeweller.

However, I took those very items to a jeweller who was shocked by the quality and undertook to redo the who project for me. I supplied him with an original Sphinx for two days which I got on loan and trust from the Regimental Museum and he made a new rubber mould, see photograph of examples of the Sphinx from the new mould in blue plastic, I am sure you will agree with me 100% accurate.

He then used one lump of pure silver from the first casting I had done and produced three Sphinx's complete with the rear mounting lug and hole seen photograph of the spare two front and back.

He then, to my utter delight used some of the spare silver and fashioned a rear mounting pin which can bee seen in the picture in situ on the back of the SBP.

The final photograph is of the front of the SBP with the Sphinx fitted in position, in essence restoring this historical Officers Shoulder Belt Plate back to its original state and how it should look.

This I consider, is a first class restoration job done by a first class craftsman of the highest order who took pride in what he does, I personally am very grateful and extremely please with the overall result.

Warm regards

Hiram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pictures.jpg (83.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures1.jpg (119.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures2.jpg (65.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Subject.jpg (65.5 KB, 34 views)