View Single Post
Old 23-09-20, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinus View Post
Yes, Paul has some very nice para badges indeed.
I was actually triggered for my eBay search when I saw the "White Metal Alternative" badge in his album.

Marinus
Hello

Very interesting

Yes i have a similar badge, in fact 2 if you count the brass unplated one (in hand they are quite different). Now they are similar with the rigging lines which I am comfortable with, but the lion on mine seems to be straight forward facing unlike this one, and under magnification I can see die flaw, and similar looking marks on the body of the lion on the white metal I have with this one.

My white metal is closer to the one in this post, but on the brass version, again is similar in look, rigging etc, but different when in hand, weight, thickness, quality and crispness of look.

When I compare my white metal with the brass, they are in fact very different in detail, looking at the back tells the bigger story, the brass one being very detailed and profound. Also the feathers are very different in the shape, the brass are more round, equal, and defined than the whitemetal alternative version I have and the one in this post.

The lugs on my white metal are certainly more aged, no fresh/bright brazing.

I am happier with my white metal alternative, than the one subject to scrutiny, and I have read all the comments and followed the links, with the history with the slider versions etc, and to be honest im on the fence.

If I was to doubt, it would be the lack of clarity on the back, rather than the front, I know that die flaws are known in JR Gaunt, and they are much more obvious than this badge, are they the only maker to have them?

I dont think I have helped the debate, but you have my 2 c's worth.

Let me try to do some picture comparisons, I tried earlier but only having an iphone 6 my pictures never seem that great.

Kind Regards
Paul