View Single Post
Old 05-10-16, 03:04 AM

Hi Mark,
Just an example of how many variations of the basic Royal Canadian Artillery 'gun' badge there are - it probably doesn't even scratch the surface and doesn't include the new designs that have been the subject of a thread on here recently or those of the CEF. I wouldn't like to think how many manufacturer's variations exist for the Royal Artillery.

Twelve of those have CANADA in the upper scroll; they are all from different dies. All of the gun badges on the board, bar one on the tartan patch, are different in regard to die, finish, applied wheel, material, etc.

The two large badges you show are definitely Canadian post 1927, the small badge I would consider post WW2 Canadian (1950s as Bill A says).

I will say however that there is an immediately recognizable design difference between the badge of the RA, RCA and RAA even though they all now have the same motto and battle honour in the scrolls (I think in the RA UBIQUE and QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT are referred to as mottos, in the RAA and the RCA UBIQUE is referred to as a battle honour and only the other is considered a motto).

Artynut has good advice on checking the albums, I also think there is some more members who have gun badge collections up for show in the albums.

Regards, Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (97.0 KB, 46 views)