View Single Post
Old 14-12-21, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I agree with leaving it. I clean any dirt that might be on an item, but otherwise leave them as father-time has made them.

An example, from my trip to Normandy I brought back several rifle casings from one of the airborne battle sites we dug on a friends farm, and gave one to a collector friend. Next time I saw him, he showed it to me and it was all cleaned and polished, looking just like a highly polished new made shell casing. But, it was no longer the relic it had been. To put it simply, he had ruined it.

Terry
I've mentioned this before - never leave a bit of dull or dirty metal around near an old Guardsman.
20 years ago I obtained some medieval crossbow bolt heads, Roman coins, a Roman hunting spear head and a lovely little Celtic bronze axe head with owl decoration from Bihac, Bosnia.
Although I really liked the items I gave them to my father as I knew he'd like them.

A few years ago I saw them, he'd made a nice little glazed showcase for them - and polished off their lovely green and brown patinas probably with vinegar and a scouring pad.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 15-12-21 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Double "bronze".