Thread: Essex 2nd V.B.
View Single Post
Old 21-06-20, 10:35 PM

Greetings.

Mark, apologies I’ve just read your PM, to save me sending a reply, here it is:
I believe your badge is a poor copy of the larger version of the two 2nd VB Glengarry badges.
Reasons I believe so:
The Sphinx’s head is oversized and generally it’s a poorly defined Sphinx.
Lack of brickwork lines on the Castle.
Lack of definition to the castle outline.
Lack of stippling/pebbling in places on the circlet.
Indistinct Regimental Motto beneath the castle.
As Parabellum rightly states, it’s a poor casting.

Dave, I like you badge and unless it’s the lighting make it look appear to be white metal, I believe it could well be a Senior NCO’s item, if it is in fact white metal.
The main difference to the SNCOs/Officer’s badge in my album, is the font, however, I do have the small issue of an OR’s 2nd VB with the exact same font as yours.
If you look again at my offerings, you will see that the castle and central motifs are completely different between the smaller and larger versions.

Parabellum: The only Essex Glengarry badges I have seen that would have had more than 2 lugs are those issued to the Regular Soldiers and were converted Helmet Plate Centres.

I don’t know if Essex were the only unit to have 2 sizes and style of Glengarry badges for Volunteer Battalions, unfortunately I don’t yet have Glengarry badges to the 3rd and 4th VBs, but I do know they were issued and in both versions; but not certain in different sizes.

Regards
Brian

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 21-06-20 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Punctuation