View Single Post
Old 26-02-19, 01:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thank you.

Jennen's were taken over by Gaunt in 1924 so presumably in the case of the Devon badges illustrated in the first post they should be before then, so to clarify the use of the second badge was there a full dress uniform on which an Officer would have worn a gilt collar badge?, I have a later Queens crown collar badge but that's bi-metal.

And this question wasn't only concerning the Devon's, what was the situation with other Regular Army Regiments?

Rob
Each regiment followed its own policy, but probably endorsed by the Army Dress Committee, although I’m unsure as to how strictly this was observed. Certainly I recall that most, but not all of the unamalgamated regiments (i.e. since 1881) retained OSD Bronze to some degree. There seems to have been a some kind of policy agreed by each administrative Division (Scottish, King’s, etc.). These are those that I recall clearly:

1. Royal Scots - OSDB collar badges.
2. Green Howards - Silver plate collar and cap badges.
3. Cheshire Regiment - Silver and gilt plate collar and cap badges.
4. Royal Welch Fusiliers - OSDB collar and cap badges.
5. KOSB - OSDB collar badges.
6. Duke of Wellingtons Regiment - Silver and gilt plate cap and collar badges.
7. Black Watch - Silver plate collar badges.
8. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - OSDB collar badges.

This is just from memory, I will be interested to see the recollections of others.

All of the regiments that retained OSDB with service dress wore different badges with blue patrols.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 26-02-19 at 01:56 PM.