View Single Post
Old 09-10-22, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Merci Hervé.

Yes. That lead to the second part of the question. What were those two attached below by Gaunt ? Were there the one from the Longest Day or just a simple restrike or copy ? Do you have an idea when those copies were made ?

I understood from the previous posts the "Made in England" were the one from that movie ? The main actor wear a "Commando Marine" one.

Best
This has already been discussed here
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...52&postcount=6
When M. Chauvet discovered sometime in 1950 that his design was being utilized for the ‘Commando Marine’ new badge, he requested to protect and safeguard the ownership of its artistic rights. Consequently, Arthus Bertrand, the badge’s maker at the time, added the inscription ‘M. Chauvet 1943’.
I suspect M. Chauvet was vigilant for making sure that most of the following badges produced in France would be mentioning his name.
In my view, the mention of Gaunt and Chauvet 1943 on this particular (bad) copy of the 1 BFM Cdo has nothing to do with Gaunt. It is not a restrike but an indication of the origins of the design. It could have been produced in France with the agreement of M. Chauvet himself.
As for when it was made, I would say in the last 30 years as some veterans were wearing them during celebrations.