View Single Post
Old 16-09-21, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPC View Post
Hi all,

Can you help me compile a list of any departments, corps, units or random job titles who might have worn the Royal Arms as a cap badge between 4 Aug 1914 and 11 Nov 1918?

First of all, let's deal with the GSC. I am fairly confident this unit did not exist until 1942 and you'll note there are no GSC casualties in CWGC in the First War.

Where you see "GSC" on an attestation form it stands for General Service Cavalry (with GSI being the equivalent for the infantry). Ancestry, of course, has interpreted it as General Service Corps.

Officers on the General List (not quite the same thing) certainly wore the officers' version of the badge in gilt or bronze.

In WWI, the Intelligence Corps wore the insignia of the 10th Royal Fusiliers (some sources, including the IWM, say 20th but I'm fairly sure that's wrong). In WWII they are known occasionally to have worn the GSC badge for security purposes. I'm not sure whether they did in WWI as well. If so, the Int Corps was officers-only at the time.

So let's get the ball rolling...

OFFICERS' ROYAL ARMS CAP BADGE (KK1084)
- Officers on the General List (in WWI)
- General Service Corps officers (only from Feb 1942)
- Intelligence Corps officers (certainly in WWII, maybe in WWI)

OTHER RANKS' ROYAL ARMS CAP BADGE
- General Service Corps other ranks (only from Feb 1942)
- Intelligence Corps (maybe in WWII, not in WWI)

Any comment on the above or view on other things to include?

Thanks and best wishes,

Tom
Tom,

In October of 1916, the War Office announced that all ranks of the Volunteer Force (who were at that time still clothed in their individual VTC uniforms, cap badges, insignia etc.) were to wear the Royal Arms as their cap badge.

JT VF 1.jpg JT VF 2.jpg JT VF 3.jpg

JT