View Single Post
Old 22-09-22, 06:30 PM

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a WWII 1944 pattern SAS winged dagger from Steve "Arestingu" for comparison asnd a 21 Artist Arm badge from late 40's.

Heres my observation on both and by all means if Im wrong guys please correct me.

I use the above to as comparisons as it were for dates of manufacture and possible use.

In my collection I have Formation signs from WWII and post WWII with the adhesive backing. Post WWII has it on the openweave black mesh and not on the formation sign which ,to me, WWII era formation signs have.

The post WWII adhesive backing I have have been documented to the late 1940's and 50's on BBF.

Note the black lines that touch the dagger on both sides and how slim the wing is , to date all of what I have seen on 1944 pattern winged daggers are "wider wings and the black line do not touch the dagger.

The second wing design has more in comparison to a 1944 pattern but the folded felt edge has been sewn to the back (professionally done may I add cannot see stitches on front) but again post WWII SAS badges have that black paperbacking.

The 3rdexample is one I have discussed is was worn by NZSAS during the late 50's-60's , which is British made not the paper backing.

So I look on both and won these as 1950's-60's winged daggers and not WWII.

Would I love them to be WWII , hell yeah ,but above are my observations and would love more opinions as you guys have collected and done more research than I have on the subject matter.

cheers Paul and your collections is looking outstanding every time I see them , take care friend.

Phill