View Single Post
Old 27-05-11, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTankie View Post
Hi Howard

Good to hear from you; many thanks for your info and opinions.

I'm afraid I don't buy into the "these were modified for wear on plain clothes" syndrome. I have to admit I have never seen photographs of ex-soldiers wearing their badges this way. (this will no doubt produce a flood of examples that have somehow escaped my notice over the years, could even start a new thread) especially the KDGs who had this particular badge forced upon them, continued to ignore the order for as long as possible, and changed back to the eagle as soon as possible. Had they been given a referendum how many would have voted to retain the "Star and Garter", let alone wear it in their lapels?

Nor do I think the pin fastening would necessarily imply a sloppy fitting on the uniform. Done with care they would retain their position very precisely.
Similarly, the fact that the museum doesn't have one to me suggests that the curators in years gone by were not aware of them. There are loads of badges in the collectors' world that museums would love to have.

I rest my case but, as you so rightly say, we may never know.

If by way of exchange you feel you would like to put up the Wew & Co solid silver one I feel I might be persuaded!!

Best wishes

Gordon
Gordon - I'm ging to disagree with your comments for two reasons. Firstly, there is VAST evidence of full-size cap badges being worn on civilian clothes and even as sweetheart brooches - this was not the exclusive province of the collar badge. Secondly, a pinned-on arm badge is a dangerous item - where is the anchorage to the tunic ? I could envisage many a ripped tunic arm due to a pinned-on badge becoming caught on something or other. Firm anchorage with lugs has always been the universal method of fitting - often with a reinforcing backplate. Regards. David