Thread: SA Medics Badge
View Single Post
Old 06-11-10, 12:08 PM

Hi Alex,
I have been collecting Medical badges for over 15 years and badges for over 30 years and this is the first time I see a badge like this. The SA navy medical service wore Naval uniform and badges up until 1983 when they became part of SAMS and adopted the new Medical Services uniform and insignia. I have a fair collection of the SA Navy medical insignia and have also seen IMM collection in Simonstown as well as the Navy museum collection in Simonstown, and neither of them have a badge like this in there collection.

This definately looks naval oriented with the Lion of Nassau but very strange having the lion in red and the Caduceus and wreath in bullion. My inclination would rather bend more towards SA Ports Authority Health section officer. These were around in the 1950's,1960's onwards and they wore 'Naval' uniform, so this may be there cap badge. Very much like the US Public Health department. I found reference to this department some years ago, and cannot place where I stored the info. If I do find it I will post it to the forum.

Regards
Steven