View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Post-war 512 LAA Regt (Finsbury Rifles) RA was formed.
It comprised
RHQ & Q (St Pancras) Bty
P (Finsbury Rifles) Bty
R (Tower Hamlets) Bty

According to the 1959 Catalogue & Clothing & Necessaries different cap badges were available for each Battery- adopting their predecessors London Regt badges:
CB 1337 by P Bty [11 London]
CB 3229 by Q Bty [19 London]
CB 1343 by R Bty [17 London]

Westlake makes no mention of these cap badges in his TF Artillery book. However, he also failed to mention the Battery Titles, Arm, Embroidered that they wore:
Finsbury Rifles (Scarlet on rifle green) (‘P’ Bty, 512 LAA Regt, R.A.) (Cat No CB 8044).
St. Pancras (Scarlet on rifle green) (‘Q’ Bty, 512 LAA Regt, R.A.) (Cat No CB 8045).
Tower Hamlets Rifles (Dark blue on scarlet) (‘R’ Bty, 512 LAA Regt, R.A.) (Cat No CB 8046).

Is this correct? Did these batteries actually adopt these badges? If not, why are they listed as such in the CCN?

Stephen.
Hi Stephen,

In the List of Changes, change No. C 4717 dated 30th November 1951, CB 3229 was the cap badge for:

19th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade), RE

Note the 'RE' bit. This is also noted under 'Designation' for this badge being:

'19th Lond. R. (now R.E.)'.

This comes from my work on A/A and is recorded in Appendix 1, page 418 of my book. Badge CB 3229 was pre the A/A era and is include in my book for completeness sake as change C 4717 was a change of intent only that related to the forthcoming A/A badges many which were never actually manufactured in this material.

I have no info on CB 1337 nor CB 1343 though.

Not much help but of interest?

Regards,

Chris