View Single Post
Old 23-10-17, 10:58 AM

Pipe Major 1968 John McKay. AAC. Harrogate.jpg

AAC Harrogate Part of the April 1978 photo.jpgDear Ian.

I take your word for the badge with the cross on it being the Harrogate badge. Hard to tell from the photos. Not something I am deeply into as you know my sphere is Signals Badges.

Pretty sure that A/T Pipe Major John McKay from the 1968 photo which I have attached a slightly better photo is wearing a Grant Plaid Brooch though.

As this Thread was originally about the Plaid Brooch being worn by the Pipers in the April 1978 photo I have also attached a slightly better photo of a couple of the Pipers that in my opinion clearly shows a Chrome Plaid Brooch with Jimmy in the middle and no void as per the current Signals brooch. Hope you agree. I suspect that as Alan O says the Grant Plaid being worn could well be stock from the Junior Leaders Regiment that was past on after the unit closed in 1967 and used before the Harrogate Plaid may have been produced.

The photo of the Pipe Major (Seated) at the beginning of the Thread I suspect is clearly showing what you call the Harrogate Plaid Brooch and is thought to be circa 1985. Again this would make sense as the badge was probably made after the April 1978 Signals Plaid had stopped being used in favour of the Harrogate Plaid.

All good news I suspect.

Best wishes

Chris Walker

Kind regards

Chris