View Single Post
Old 20-10-17, 11:57 AM

Dear Phil and Mike and Alan O.

Thank you very much for the improved sight of the badge the Pipe Major is wearing. I really do think from your more enhanced photo that it is a Clan Grant Plaid Brooch.

Also the answer that Alan O has posted about the badges in general being what ever was available at the time. That makes sense especially with the Junior Leaders Regiment closing down in 1967 and the photo of the Pipe Major wearing what I now think is a Grant Plaid Brooch in 1968. As I mentioned future training of boy soldiers after 1967 went to Harrogate and the bands continued there.

I have also attached a photo that was sent to me by Cliff Lord some time ago. At the time I did not know who the band and pipers were.

I am now more than happy to say it is the band and pipers of the Army Apprentice College, Harrogate. Date unknown to me but two points I should like to point out.

As you mentioned earlier Mike the original photo I posted showed the bandsmen with no collar dogs. This photo indeed shows them wearing signals collar dogs if you increase the size of the photo.

Secondly, two of the Pipers (One looks to be the Junior Pipe Major) are wearing the Black Watch Plaid Brooch as shown in the first of Mikes photos on this Thread. The rest of the Pipers are wearing the Chrome Quoit without the void in the middle but with the Jimmy badge. The senior Pipe Major at the far left is wearing his own unit Plaid Brooch by the looks of it.

I think this has answered my query quite fully now. Just have to get hold of the Brooch for my collection.

Many thanks yet again to members of the Forum for helping to come up with what I think is the answer.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16Sigs.jpg (55.9 KB, 25 views)