View Single Post
Old 23-09-19, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
A recent purchase, an RAF jump instructor's qualification arm badge. It is not shown in Locke's book on SF insignia (only examples without wings are shown), but on Chairborne Militaria one exactly like mine is described as "master parachute jump instructor qualification badge".

Can it be confirmed that it is for a master PJI?
I'm familiar with these badges but have never heard one described as a Master PJI qualification badge before.

Typically, these sell for around £180 to £200 when they come up.

A number of older collectors have told me that this badge was around in the 1950s, and appeared in a book on RAF insignia in the 1960s, but this is anecdotal.

The construction is quite vintage although the circular shape (most original PJI trade badges have a more oval appearance) is of a similar pattern to a copy of more modern manufacture. (Attached)

A popular explanation is that they were a prototype badge rejected in 1945, when PJIs were awarded honorary Aircrew status, in favour of the half wing to provide conformity with other Aircrew brevets.

Another explanation is as above but that they were created much later as a fantasy item. If the 'old timers' are correct however, and these badges were around in the 1950s, fantasy items hadn't really been invented and copies were rare as it was still possible to obtain good original badges at very reasonable prices.

One final explanation is that the badge is a commemorative item but for what and when I've no idea.

Cheers,

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF PJI Circular Brevet (With Wings).jpg (71.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RAF PJI Badge Obverse REPRO.jpg (51.3 KB, 18 views)