View Single Post
Old 09-04-19, 08:48 PM

Default Are You A True Collector...?

I realize that perhaps the title of this thread may be somewhat provocative but bear with me and I will explain my reasoning behind the title and hopefully opening up what I think has the potential for an interesting topic of discussion.

Recently I was asked to facilitate a trade between two gentlemen. Nothing to do with badges but the experience is still relevant. Ultimately the deal failed, not because either collector did not want what the other was offering but more so that both parties were of the opinion that 'their' item was actually much more valuable than I felt was reasonable or the market dictated.

This experience got me thinking and especially back to my own experiences in collecting, especially in my youth. I recall 'many' times that in collecting it was the items that got my focus and the monetary value was secondary. If I could afford it, I grabbed it, if I could not, then the money was just an annoying impediment. For me it was the item itself that held all the fascinations, focus and interest, money was simply either an obstacle (if I didn't have it) or something to 'grease the wheels' of a deal. As a result I often ended up paying over the odds for that special piece and almost never 'made money' from it down the road but to me it was 'collecting' that was important and even if I paid a little too much, the joy of 'collecting' it soon had me forget about how much it cost.

Today I seem many collectors using the most annoying phrases like "it owes me" or "I need to get my 'investment' back". If you use such phrases are you really a collectors? Or are you a dealer, an investor or just shrewd?

I write this not to judge anyone but simply to raise the topic for discussion. Are you a true collector? Is it the item itself that brings you joy or is it the prestige of owning it or the money you have wrapped up in it?

I know there are many dealers who are also collectors and I don't want to muddy the waters with that concept here but mearly to insight some of us to think a little about our motivations and share your own thoughts and experiences on this topic.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com