View Single Post
Old 30-01-13, 09:23 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Having reviewed my badges I am uncertain that he was 100% right about the upwards large font JR Gaunt London.

The theory would seem to confirm my suspicions about my w/m QOYY badge. However I also have a k/c RAPC badge with the Gaunt name running from the bottom of the slider and I just can't believe that it is a 1970s fake.
I have a number of 1970s and 80s JR Gaunt Bham a/a badges on which the name runs from top to bottom while others run bottom to top.

I would therefore advise caution before condemning any badge as a fake on the basis of which way the maker's name runs.
Alan

I have had the same scratch of the head that you have......

All I can say is that in 1957 the LDYPAO had their badge struck in BIM and the Gaunt London mark was the upward type..... and then in 1963 on the intro of AA the mark was the same but going down the slider. Nothing is fake about the LDYPAO BIM .... it was issued right from the start. I have a 1950s Motto, 100% genuine, with the same mark going up the slider like the LDYPAO.

LA, I think, is referring to a select batch of badges "that shouldn't" have this type of slider..... and describes the implant of an older slider to a restrike badge.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro