View Single Post
Old 07-10-12, 11:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I can only speak for A/A badges so do take this on when reading here.

The maker mark position (up or down the slider) can go either way. If you look on pattern cards this will be apparent so should not be taken as a sign of authentic v's fake.

Some of the marks that are commented on as 'bad' are again found on standard pattern cards and while they may be 'bad' on non A/A badges they are OK on 'staybrites' especially if one reconciles the era of the badge with the mark. Again. this can be reconciled with existing pattern card dates and manufacturers documentation.

I did have trouble reading a bit of this but found it very interesting. I did note that the writer only commented on Gaunt and Firmin makers while there must be a lot of others that were not noted. For A/A badges I think I have managed to ID 14 different makers so assume that some of these must have made non A/A badges.

The issue with, what I call, unofficial commissions in A/A is that they came for one of two sources:

1) Dodgy dealers who commissioned them via established badges makers. These badges are unmarked but have a very distinct slider only found on Gaunt A/A badges so are easy to spot.

2) Possibly one company, after acquiring another, used the previous makers name. This seems to have occurred with the TAVR III badges noted in the writers text. However, the mark stamped is not one known to have been used by the company so are, again, easily recognised for what they are.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris