View Single Post
Old 24-12-21, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
I'm not an expert at all on Naval weapons but remember when I was researching a lance that came into my collection, there was reference to a similar but slightly shorter one used on sailing ships, mainly for preventing boarders from getting across the gap between vessels.
Found an example of a "Naval Boarding Pike" that was sold on a militaria site :

Quote:
In 1894 the British Military adopted the Pattern 1894 Cavalry Lance and P-1894 Naval Boarding Pike. These were related weapons, however, their individual use required different sizes. The lance was 9' 1 overall (109") with a 2' 4" steel head (28") fitted onto an ash wood shaft. In contrast the Boarding Pike was shorter measuring 5' 6" overall (66") with a 15" steel heads also fitted on Ash wood shaft. Both weapons were destined for obsolescence within the next 20-30 years.

Boarding Pikes were traditionally carried on Galleons, Men-o-War and subsequent Naval Battle vessels to "Repel Boarders" and in earlier days were issued in longer lengths. However, their use was later expanded to boarding parties so a shorter pike was adopted for easier maneuverability.
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/bri...nt=25650937861

Poppy and British Legion Wanted