View Single Post
Old 13-07-20, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

The NZANS badge that you show is the WW2 one made by Mayer & Kean of Wellington. The clue is the red of the enamel cross (transparent red with the "cross hatching" visible through the enamel).

Bay's NZANS badges are a little different in that the crown is smaller (I think) and the red cross is opaque red enamel. They are also marked "C.M. Bay".

They have a number engraved on the back of the crown which, I think, is their nurse's registration number, not their service number. I see that Tinto has one numbered "429". I think that I've seen a list somewhere for these (think, brain, think....)
Hi dumdum,
I agree with your comments except that the size of the crowns of mine are almost the same size, the difference being the C.M.BAY one has a "flatter" topped crown.

Incidentally, according to Sherayl McNabb's book on the history of New Zealand Military Nursing, the number 429 was given to Staff Nurse Rose Emily Garner (married name Hughes), attested 18/01/1917, served at Featherston Military Camp Hospital; 2 NZ General Hospital UK; Struck off strength NZEF 09/12/1919.

Cheers, John

Last edited by Tinto; 13-07-20 at 06:23 PM.