View Single Post
Old 11-01-08, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I spent a considerable amount of time finding that one and bought 3 15 Londons on the way (indeed the one shown next to it is now for sale if anyone wants it!). The shape is so very similiar and it is the bronzing that was the clincher for me. I have seen 15 London in Blackened Brass where the blackening has been applied as a paste and in black painted brass.

Too many dealers try to pass off bi-metal badges (usually Welsh Regt ones with the scroll removed) as Denbigh Hussars.

Alan
Alan,

While there are minor differences between the the angle of the scrolls, my opinion is that both wore the same basic badge and that no-one can really say which is correct, in fact the books make the confusion worse. Finishes can have something to do with it though as being a rifles regiment the 15th London ought to be black. For the record the one I have in my collection as a Denbighshire Hussars (left) is more OSD deep brown and my 15th London black (right).

Just to confuse matters more the ACD records for badges to be finished in black actually says to be bronzed!

Here's a link to a black one with scrolls even more angular.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-15TH-...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Denbigh.jpg (69.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 15th London.jpg (30.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 11-01-08 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Missed an S off again. Additional link