View Single Post
Old 23-07-21, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I see that there is a space for badge number but it has been left blank.

Nevertheless there is a number, top right! Badge number and membership number?

Also it cost 1/6d to stay financial...
Two points to note , the first subscription was paid in the 3rd quarter of 1921 and the number on the card is 860.

As the "Comrades" were formed in 1917 they must have issued issued thousands of badges by 1921 , so it is 'probable' that the number on the top of the card is a "branch" membership number , rather than a national one.

NB - From "The Politics of Influence" :
Quote:
The Comrades of the Great War was certainly larger . The leadership claimed upward of 680,000 in 1919
This number has been questioned but their membership was probably greater than 100,000 by 1919.

I wonder if branches submitted a list of new members to the regional/national organisation and were then given a set of numbers which were then stamped on badges ?

One point I can't find any details on is about the badge sizes , were both sizes available at the same time ? If not when was the smaller size introduced ?

EDIT - Found photos of certificates issued to members (with an area for number) , some have a single number (national ?) while a few have two numbers (branch/national ?).

Ideally what is needed to solve this enigma is a badge , membership card and certificate all for the same person !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 23-07-21 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added info