View Single Post
Old 15-04-13, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
I'd forgotten I that I had picked up the second badge shown below a while back.
The first is what I have always considered to be the standard issue bimetal badge to the above with the three loops on the reverse.
The second is the recent pick up with a Gaunt slider, but the badge is from the same die.
So why the two variants?
I can't comment on non A/A badges but this may be of interest.

When I was in the IWM a few years ago going through their A/A bits and pieces I noted that there was one unit, The Queen’s Own Mercian Yeomanry, RAC (TA), that had an A/A badges with both lugs and slider.

From page 81 of Chapter 8: Loops:

However, collectors need to appreciate that the author has found no definite proof of any pair of anodised aluminium cap badges having the same badge body where the use of loops was specifically reserved for officers and the use of sliders was specifically allocated to ranks. The example given above, for The Queen’s Own Mercian Yeomanry, RAC (TA), probably has more to do with the type of head-dress being worn rather that the ranked use of the two badges. Therefore the use of either loops or sliders came down to the badge’s use on a specific head-dress with a view to aesthetic appearance and the prevention of loss.

A theory of mine only.

Regards

Chris