View Single Post
Old 16-05-09, 12:03 PM

Default Ludski/Ludlow Company History

The other week it was mentioned to me about Ludski and Ludlow being one and the same company, which, as a new collector, was something I hadn’t previously been aware of. By the same token, I was also told that the Firm’s change of name took place sometime at the beginning of the First World War. I do know that some families of German descent did change their names at this time due to anti-German feelings, Schmit to Smith that kind of thing (even the Royal Family went from being Wettin to Windsor), but as Ludski sounded more like a Polish name to me I did wonder if this was right or not. So, at the suggestion of Stephen (badjez), I’ve been going through some London Trade Directories and Telephone Directories to see if I could confirm any of this.

Anyway, this is what I have found out so far specifically relating to the change of name which I thought might be of interest to Forum members – in the ‘Professional and Commercial’ section of The Post Office London Directory of 1933 the Firm is recorded as “Ludski B. & Son, military accoutrement mkrs” of 1 & 3 Smith’s Court, Great Windmill Street, but in the Directory for the following year we find “Ludlow & Co”, also “military accoutrement mkrs” at the very same address, thus indicating that the change of name actually took place around this date and not during the Great War as I had been led to believe. Things look to be further confirmed by the London Telephone Directories of the time, wherein that for November 1932 has “Ludski B, & Son” of 1 Smith’s Court with the ’phone number “GERrard 6718”, whilst in the Directory for May 1933 we find “Ludlow & Co, Badge Makers” at the same address and with the same ’phone number. Based on this then, it would seem that any badges marked with “Ludski & Son London” would date from before 1933, whilst those bearing the mark “Ludlow London” would be after that date.

I have also managed to find out some more about the origins of the Firm, which I will post up here later, and am now in touch with the gentleman who currently runs the Company; who are still going but who now only seem to make buttons and fasteners. Unfortunately little in the way of records appears to have survived from the time when the Firm did make military badges, but anything I do find out I will happily share with the Forum.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”