View Single Post
Old 06-02-15, 08:31 PM

Default J. R. Gaunt & Son in Canada

Hello Bill

It was very interesting to read about the opposing views of the collectors you’ve consulted, which, as you point out, mirrors the discussions on this thread. As you also say, more research is obviously required to get to the bottom of this, something I have acknowledged in my reply to Simon. There should be something in Montreal that could help, though given Julian has identified records about the Canadian business in Birmingham Archives, it would seem there is also scope for investigations on this side of the Atlantic as well. If there was ever any manufacturing in Canada, either directly by the Montreal business, or by sub-contractors, then I would have thought this should appear in the archives. I see now that you believe the Beaver Hall Hill address was only “the distribution / tailor / outfitting shop”, which in someway goes with what J. R. Gaunt & Son said in 1985 and Mr Gaunt’s article of 1994. As I’ve just noted in the posting above, I do have further information on the address/es of the Canadian company, which I’ll endeavour to post up here; if only for interest.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 06-02-15 at 08:40 PM.