Thread: Welsh Regiment
View Single Post
Old 02-04-21, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I am afraid that the 100 year old undiscovered box theory does not hold water with me. I had one of these and it was spanking new.

They were not seen before 2005 and then suddenly lots popped up in mint condition.
A badge’s condition depends massively on storage conditions. I’ve several +100 year old badges in mint condition. I include in this some BB UHG badges I have in remarkable condition.

I’ve demonstrated the POW plumes used were certainly around in 1969 to be in Wilkinson’s book. Said plumes are not in my belief fake and don’t pop up with the run of the mill fake scrolls attached. The two Yeomanry badges they are found on aren’t common and they are not known fakes/restrikes.

Can you suggest a logical and more likely course of events which accounts for how a genuine POW plume was used in the construction of a glut of repros only appearing in 2005? Or if you deem the POW plumes fake them being used in the 1960s then seemingly not again until c.2005 when they were reproduced in large numbers but then clearly not again since?

Lastly the sliders appear uniform across all the badges with those POW plumes. Note the feint crimp mark, they are not typically repro in shape. It would be too remarkable a co-incidence for a new batch of modern repros to use the exact same and unusual slider as 45 years prior when it has not appeared on any other known repros in either that interim period or the time since.

I think it all ties in to a box/batch of unissued original badges.

The Welsh badge I’ve shown, in post #1, from the same die is definitely old.

Last edited by Luke H; 02-04-21 at 09:26 PM.