View Single Post
Old 27-10-20, 02:53 PM

Paddy,
Great summary, your badge No4, a handful of these have turned up in the past year or so, never seen one before ‘Personal Distinctions’ was published and assume. The couple I have seen up close appear to be recently joined together.
Yours
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hi Lois

Very nice picture and nice to see this specific badge being worn. The badge is one worn by the Royal Marines Engineers, a unit formed in early 1918 and I believe disbanded shortly after the end of WWI. If you get access to the book "Personal Distinctions" by John Rawlinson there is a section about the RME on pages 190 & 191 with some pictures of the badge you posted being worn on page 191. He is definitely not an officer as their badges were 2 part bronze with the letters RME on the grenade part. The 2 part gilding metal badge you have pictured seems to be attributed to corporals in the RME. There is also a one part badge which appears to be attributed to privates and pioneers. I have pictured a few of the badges I have below. First badge is the bronze officer's version, second is the 2 part corporal's badge and the third one is a representation of the 1 piece private's badge. I have also posted a fourth badge which I have not been able to verify yet but thought I would show just so you can have an idea of the variations in this small short lived unit.

Paddy