View Single Post
Old 12-05-13, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
As we’ve seen a few postings about J. R. Gaunt lately I thought Forum members might find the following advertisements of interest. I happened across them whilst flicking through a volume of the Army and Navy Gazette for 1918 recently:

The first one appears in a number of issues from April right through to October 1918, but the other only in December 1918 (probably also after that, but I didn’t have time to look at the volume for 1919). Although the two ads are essentially the same, the wording in the second is slightly different and the address has also changed. Another cracking advert is the following from Peck’s Circular Trades Directory and Detailed Byers’ Guide to the Manufactures of Birmingham and District ... for 1896-7:

As well has having a nice little depiction of the Firm’s works, the ad lists the array of different badges, buttons, fittings, clasps, etc. that the Company made at that time. Intriguingly it gives them as having been “Established 1860”, and also as being the “Successors to David Faris” – what the significance of this is I do not know, as I have yet to do much research into Gaunts and their history. If anyone else knows of any Gaunt advertisements then I’d be glad to hear about them, and if I find any more I’ll be sure to put them up here.

Regards

Martin
like the gwr title in one advert, we often see titles drilled that way, so now we know that some maybe railway. thanks