Old 09-01-09, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Shaun,
On my albums (page 2) I have a New Zealand Railway Corps Cox2927
with lugs and to me it appears to be ok. Its unmarked silver and a jeweller
has confirmed that it is made of silver. Is this badge the genuine article
or is it a fake?
If you want precise dimensions or better pics, let me know.
David
Incidently, have NZ badges (in general) been subject to the same level of copying,
restriking/ general faking (call it what you will) that the UK ones have been subjected to.
Generally NZ badges have not seen the same curse as the UK ones (LRDG is the exception, as well as some rarer badges which Dave Corbett made collectors copies of - unfortuneatley not marked and can be sold by unrupulous people as real). In recent years the NZ Pioneers badge has been copied usually with a slider which is unusual for NZ badges.

I have seen the silver Railways badges from the UK eBay sellers and believe them to be fake. They come in brass and fine bronze - nice UK strike. Never seen one in silver and if it was it would have UK hallmarks or would be silver plated or chromed - I have a chromed set believed to be bands.

WW1 NZ Re-inforcements badges do appear in gold and silver as they were made in NZ to order and sweethearts could be made in what you liked but generally silver is not common for NZ badges of that era. Volunteer period had some (pre 1911) and then again 1950s GAUNT officers GILT and SILVER PLATE/SILVER.

Hope it helps.

Shaun