View Single Post
Old 25-04-16, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Bess,

I have to totally disagree with your remarks here.

The doco quite clearly states that the Queen's regt brass slider badges, which only have the B'HAM mark, were complained about in Jan 1967 which has to imply they were made in 1966 or even earlier, as the badges had to be manufactured, issued, fail and then be reported on,

I'll stick to 1966 unless definitive proof, preferably on Gaunt headed note paper, comes to hand.

Regards,

Chris
Chris, the time line for the failing brass slider badge is born out by the dates on documents you've found, but I'm equally going by the data you referred me to. Sealed pattern cards show Gaunt London on the slider for:-

Dorset Regt 1966
Gurkha Boys 1966
Queens Own Lowland Yeo 1968.. . . .etc

So unless they are using both marks at the same time . . . . ?

My enquiry was that perhaps the fact that the slider was brass was important, in that the manufacturing issue is different and Gaunt may have used parts (i.e. sliders) from a part of the manufacturing area that made brass badges, which used a different marking regime. In any case the sealed pattern for the anodised badge with the anodised slider bearing Gaunt BHam is dated 1970. The sealed pattern card bearing a brass slider must surely have been an earlier card as by 1970 they had ceased using the metal slider - if that too was dated 1970 it wouldn't really make sense.

I guess it gets to the heart of the original enquiry here about dates really. We can disagree and that's fine however, but the data would appear to show that Gaunt London mark was still being used throughout the 1960's on anodised Gaunt badge sliders. The anodised slider Queens Regt card is 1970 and all the others you detail for Gaunt BHam (apart from the IJLR at 1969) are all 1970 onwards .

The brass slider with Gaunt BHam is the anomaly here is it not?

All the best

Bess