View Single Post
Old 30-08-19, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
That's a great reply and assists a lot too. Thanks to everyone who's chipped in �� Why were badges blackened? I would assume for some tactical reason, or was there another reason?

Looks like I'll have to keep searching to be exact, but I do like the one I own. I don't think my Gf left anything from that time other than his discharge certificates, which show at that time he was discharged from the R.Ulster Rifles as the RIR had been rebadged. Still, it was the RIR he joined and served under so that, for now, remains the priority. Has anyone been to the museum in Belfast and seen what's on display there?
Yes, the tradition of black insignia relates to an early tactical decision that rifle regiments would wear dark clothing and eschew shiny badges and pipeclay. That style had been adopted from the German foresters who had formed the earliest such units in the British service.

The museum in Belfast has a fine display and is worth visiting.

The Royal Irish Rifles had been unusual in that its 1st Battalion had originally been the County Dublin Regiment and its 2nd Battalion the County Down Regiment, and so had recruited from the two principal cities of Ireland.