View Single Post
Old 27-07-20, 03:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
CB - There is J.L. Chapple's catalogue of his collection - which is online at the Indian Military Historical Society - and one of the badges (the 68th with scroll underneath SOBRAON - pouch badge - 4 copper lugs) - is described as being in the collection. However the vast majority of his items to the Bengal Army of this period are buttons , a few WBC and Shako Plates - and just three "cap badges" - all of them Large Brass Numbers ( 1st, 3rd and 28th ) - considering the comprehensive nature of the rest of his Indian collection I think it speaks volumes for the rarity of these pieces. As for how else to identify them, there are some contemporary watercolours of uniforms of the BNI - and there must be some items in museum's collections somewhere. I mentioned Osprey's Books - I assume they must have referenced their illustrations from somewhere? But I have a theory that the collection was not put together over a long period of time but probably gathered shortly after the mutiny itself and kept as a whole. There were no other badges or medals consigned in the auction - I've written to the auction house asking for more information but I very much doubt whether they'll be forthcoming. Ashok is I believe compiling a book on the Indian Army insignia to be the companion to his definitive work on the Indian Cavalry - Izzat . Tim
Thanks for sharing these interesting images....I see u are already in touch with Capt Ashok Nath, if there is anybody with the requisite knowledge to assist .... it's him... I do believe he is also working on a volume on the pre mutiny Bengal Army, I've had the good fortunate of seeing his incredibly fine Indian Army collection ...Tom