View Single Post
Old 03-09-17, 10:26 AM

Default My father also served in the 25th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1961 View Post
My father served with the 25th in India from 44-45 I believe in B company but I may be wrong. He drove the Sherman along with other vehicles. He 'celebrated' his 20th birthday on VE day but remained in India until after VJ day. As far as I know the 25th then disbanded and he then went to Palestine with 4/7th Dragoons. His name is Len Smith, he is approaching 92 yrs old and is very much alive I am glad to say. I would very much like to make contact with relatives or indeed survivors of this unit.
My father also served in the 25th and spent his 21 st birthday in the Burmese jungle. I have just discovered this forum and am deeply saddened as he tried for many years to make contact with other 25D members. He recently moved into a nursing home, at the age of 95, and it was my intent to sit with him and record as much as possible about his experiences in India and Burma. He was as sharp as a tack but, like so many others have commented, spoke rarely about what happened all those years ago. He died last week and now all of that information has gone with him. His medals are wrapped up along with his service records and when I have time I will have a first time look at them.
He also drove a Sherman tank, after first commencing as a gunner. He did mention that they were surrounded by the Japanese and that his tank comrade was killed in the tank. I've found a book of his called 'A Hell Of A Licking' THE RETREAT FROM BURMA' by James Lunt. Anybody read this?