View Single Post
Old 15-09-20, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
My observations:

The rounded one appeared to be factory made, but when I look at it under a jewellers loop, it is obvious it has had the corners removed, and then smoothed.

It's a proper job, not a backyard effort, which may be why they look manufactured.

Sorry Tim , I looked at the first photo before reading the text and with the naked eye (no zoom or loop) could see that it had been 'modified'.

It appears to have been simply filed (from front to back) to remove the 'tip' of the point rather than make a proper 'rounded' corner (that is why corners are 'longer' on modified badges).
A decent jeweller should have 'filed' side on to avoid 'sharp' edges and then removed any burrs on both faces of the badge.

NB. When I left school I did a 3 year gasfitting apprenticeship , working extensively with brass and copper , and if any of my exam pieces had sharp edges or burrs they would have lost marks !

Regarding the weight/thickness difference , it is entirely possible that a different die was used as the MM on mine is on the opposite side to the majority of Wylie badges I have seen. But this raises the question of why they would change and why so few of these exist ?

Photos

1. Your original photo with areas highlighted.

2. Close up of my badge edge showing no signs of trimming or filing.

3. Close up of rear corner - no sharp edges or burrs.

4. Close up of front corner - no sign of trimming , this usually appears as a slight 'angle' on edge.

I'm no expert on these badges but it is always worth have an exchange of views with other forum members so that between us we may finally resolve this puzzle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7334.jpg (67.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Close up 1.jpg (22.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Close up 2.jpg (49.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Close up 3.jpg (56.5 KB, 9 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted