View Single Post
Old 14-09-20, 03:41 PM

Hi Mike, ok then:

here is the elusive rounded Gaunt, along with a standard one, and a nickel plated one.

My observations:

The rounded one appeared to be factory made, but when I look at it under a jewellers loop, it is obvious it has had the corners removed, and then smoothed - well, to me, anyway. My photo skills are limited but I have tried to get a decent pic of one corner. It's a proper job, not a backyard effort, which may be why they look manufactured. It is also a much smaller rounding than usually seen, the significance being...anyones guess, but I'd go with simply how the jeweller did it.

As for weights, interestingly, the standard and the nickel plated are the same, at 10.5 grams, while the rounded one is 11.1 grams, and even with he naked eye, is thicker, 1.70mm v 1.60mm admittedly, not much, but noticeable. As your Wylie one appears to be the same, ie thicker and heavier, that is very strange, obviously indicating a different die, but a sample of two is not really enough to say one way or the other, as so many were made, it may be as simple as there were multiple dies from both companies, and the thickness is merely due to that, and not indicative of a manufactured rounded badge. Of course, the reverse is also possible, that the thickness is indicative of a special rounded corner die.

I still think there may very well be manufactured ones, as there are enough rounded ones around that Gaunt and/or Wylie could have decided, even in a limited way, to make them like this, especially if they were getting a load of them back to round off.

So not really much further ahead, but interesting nonetheless

Cheers, Tim

PS, I should add, thanks DumDum for digging yours out - any chance a pic? Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7334.jpg (64.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7335.jpg (63.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7336.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7337.jpg (20.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Chipper; 14-09-20 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add info