View Single Post
Old 12-07-22, 06:35 PM

Default WWII-ERA Officer Tam O'Shanter with Strange Badge Holes

I recently acquired a WWII-era Officer Tam O'Shanter. The TOS was made by William Anderson & Sons Ltd with King George VI's Royal Warrant of Appointment, for a manufacturing date of 1936-1952, give or take a few years depending upon when the warrant expired. The label has an almost illegible name written on it. The only thing I can make out is the rank (Major) and an "R" for the first name.

Based on the badge backing, I thought at first it was for an officer in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Regiment. However, the badge holes are not horizontal. (I will let the pictures explain.)

Can anyone help to identify the badge that may have been on this TOS, and thereby the Regiment? Because there are two holes that are vertical to each other, I thought at first it was for the Royal Scots Fusiliers. However, it has three holes total and two of those are horizontal to each other! Whichever badge goes with the TOS, because it is an officer version it will be expensive, so the TOS may stay unbadged for a long time!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this mystery TOS!

Reid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNK WWII-Era Officer TOS.jpg (107.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg UNK WWII-Era Officer TOS - Interior.jpg (54.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Holes in Backing.jpg (118.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Holes - Interior.jpg (120.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Tailor's Label.jpg (63.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Tailor's Label Traced Name.jpg (65.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg UNK WWII-Era Officer TOS - Damaged.jpg (59.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg UNK WWII-Era Officer TOS - Top.jpg (52.3 KB, 8 views)