View Single Post
Old 25-05-18, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Field Marshal Sir John Chapple GCB, CBE, DL, is the President of the Indian Military History Society. He began his service with a Gurkha regiment and was a lifelong collector of IA badges, until he donated his collection to the Natonal Army Museum and Gurkha Museum. Literally thousands of examples - I want to say '40,000' in total but can't recall. The Index you quote above is one he compiled over the years and, not surprisingly is less detailed than one would like.

OTOH, Sir John, whio is a scholar and a real gentleman in the classc british mould, would probably explain what he meant by 'non-military' if you were to contact him via the IMHS. My only thought is that these might be sweetheart pins or mess servants' badges and therefore 'non-military' in the sense of not being issue items but private purchase.

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks, Peter. So far, I've found a bit on the regiment, including two old magazine articles; they used armoured trains, and sent a detachment to fight in East Africa during WWI; a machine gun unit that either my Grandfather trained, or he trained and deployed with. They also spent time fighting on the NW frontier, of course.

This was a nice help:
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/North-Weste...lway_Battalion

And I've managed to collect a shoulder-title from the NWRVR so far. I'll post a picture when I get home.