Thread: LRDG
View Single Post
Old 04-02-20, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Edy - no problem - I am learning a lot from debate on the forum. It appears to me that LRDG badges are a mine field. I know respected LRDG collectors where one tells me a silver badge I have is a definite fake, the other says it is definitely OK and the same as one he knows a veteran had. Of course, if my own 'Commando' collecting is anything to go by, not everything a veteran got hold of was contemporary war issue. Association badges are one example. Personally, I regard any badge made with the intention of issue in WW2 to be a genuine, contemporary WW2 badge - even if held in stores or withdrawn through a fault. It is interesting to collect these variants - although debate can be as varied as found in this LRDG thread. Again, personally, I always feel it best to keep an open mind until definitive evidence emerges - I just keep queries safe on one side, and do not mount them in with other known genuine badges, unless they pass 'out of quarantine'. These conundrums are sometimes frustrating, but prompt more research which is good to share. All the best - Mike
I have had the good fortune to examine a few LRDG groupings.
Some of them had up to four different wings & others three cap/beret badges all different. Many veterans where happy enough to include their association badge with their other items.
This association badge is widely reproduced and often referred to as fake.

Thanks Edy