View Single Post
Old 12-11-07, 06:10 PM

Default Liverpool Irish hackles

John,
Thank you for that, Julian B sent me some details a short time ago of WO 32/
13024 dated 1953 when in a letter to the Hon Col it was stated that a red and blue hackle had been approved for wear by all ranks............it was not War Office policy to approve two coloured hackles for wear by one regiment.

However in the MHS Bulletin of May 1985 there is a list of authorised hackles and it is noted that Warrant officers wore red and blue hackles ( approved 27/6/53 ) and that all other ranks,other than W.O.s wore red and green hackles(worn since 1939 but no date of approval given)

I am sure that on being reformed in 1939 all ranks wore a green hackle.( letter from C.O. of 208 (3rd West Lancs ) Light Air Defence Battery R.A.(T) dated 27th April 1977- but not necessarily correct )

In Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army it is stated that a red over green hackle was worn initially which changed to red over blue ( must be an error surely) when the unit became Royal Artillery.

I have an article on pipers of the Liverpool Irish which has been accepted for publication by the M.H.S.. If would be happy to E mail you a copy if you are interested

Peter