View Single Post
Old 15-05-16, 02:05 PM

Default VICTORIAN era RN cap, rank ,& rate badges/insignia

Following on from kingsley's recent topic on his Victorian RN Officer's cap badge, I thought it might be interesting to commence a Victorian era topic on badges & insignia of the RN during this interesting period.

These Victorian RN badges/insignia seem to be quite rare in our time. I know I have been collecting RN badges for well on 50 years plus now & I only have a very few Victorian examples in my large badge collection. I consider that I am very fortunate in having the fine examples I do have! I would have thought that when one considers the size of the crews that manned the later Victorian period Ironclad turret & battleships more of their insignia would have survived to this day.

In any event I hope this might bring some more RN Victorian period insignia out of collection drawers!

& I will kick it of with some of those badges I showed in kingsley's topic....

Shown is a VR RN Officer's CIVIL Branch cap badge. RN Civil branch officers consisted of Surgeons, Engineers, Paymasters, & Naval Instructors.
Their Civil branch cap badges differed from the MILITARY branch in that they were all gold embroidery - ie: no silver wire embroidery & a gold metal anchor in the cap badge.

& a photo of a Paymaster wearing the Civil branch cap badge......

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap bd bas.jpg (92.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap bd.jpg (99.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg VR officr cap b.jpg (105.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap b.jpg (76.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap b cr.jpg (77.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Chapple close 2.jpg (91.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by RCN; 15-05-16 at 02:38 PM. Reason: .