View Single Post
Old 10-05-21, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Tom,

As I am sure many will concur, being able to ID a badge as being dodgy or kosher cannot simply be reduced to a matter of 'either this or that' (and I appreciate that is not what you're saying here). Collectors' knowledge and resources regarding the appraisal of badges comes with years and years of experience, a great deal of which necessarily includes the making of mistakes, occasionally expensive mistakes. There's no better way to learn.

Not all badges with skinny fonts will be fake/repro etc., neither will all badges with fatter fonts be authentic.

FYI, here is an example of an out-and-out fake bearing an appallingly cadaverous font:

Attachment 250941
A fairly unattractive badge that Queen's one - that poor animal looks just sick with all those spots. Yes I agree with you that things are unfortunately not that simple and knowing full well as a 35 plus year collector going on 40 determining authenticity of most militaria requires years of experience. While I am quite comfortable in some fields of militaria I readily admit I am not when it comes to British cap badges. For this reason I am turning to you here on the forum who have probably forgotten more about these badges than I will ever know. So thank you for your help! As for the 20th Bat cap badge I just simplified the issue to be sure that your point was that my example is unfortunately a fake.